Incontinence means a person loses the ability to control their bladder. There are different types of incontinence like stress incontinence, urge incontinence, overflow incontinence, etc. While this condition is common among older people, incontinence can happen to anybody at any age. It commonly happens to women post childbirth and to men post prostate surgeries. Though incontinence cannot be prevented in most cases, it can be easily managed with incontinence products like Friends Diapers’ adult diaper pants, insert diapers, and underpads. There are a few healthy habits that you can follow to keep your bladder healthy.
● Stay physically active – Performing physical exercises on a daily basis is necessary to stay healthy. Even 30 minutes of physical activity will be helpful in keeping your bladder and bowel function healthy.
● Eat a high-fibre diet – Following a diet that is rich in fibre helps in avoiding constipation. Your diet plays a huge role in keeping your bowel habits healthy and regular.
● Stop smoking – Smoking usually causes chronic coughing and this weakens the pelvic floor muscles. This further contributes to the start of incontinence.
● Drink a lot of fluids – When you add fibre to your diet, it is also important to stay hydrated and drink enough fluids. This helps maintain your digestive health.
● Healthy lifestyle – Follow a healthy lifestyle to maintain your health. Maintain a healthy weight and take good care of your diet and hydration.
● Kegel exercises – Add Kegel exercises to your regular exercising routine. These exercises are specifically designed to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and will help avoid conditions like incontinence.
How does exercising help?
Incorporating healthy habits into your lifestyle can help in preventing constipation and also contributes to maintaining your health. Moreover, it helps maintain a healthy body weight and strengthens your pelvic floor muscles. There are various exercises for prostate for men and women’s exercises that you can add to your daily routine. Here are a few tips you can follow -
- It does not necessarily have to be a heavy exercise. Even simple ones like taking a 30-minute walk or cycling can also be helpful for your bladder health and your overall health.
- Add Kegel exercises to your daily schedule. These help in improving the strength of your pelvic floor muscles.
- Make sure you pick an activity that you enjoy. You are more likely to exercise on a regular basis when you enjoy what you are doing.
Can incontinence be managed?
Healthy habits like exercising, diets, and more are quite helpful in preventing incontinence but in most cases, it cannot be prevented. It is a common condition that affects a lot of people on a global level. The condition is nothing to worry about and can be easily managed with Kegel exercises and incontinence products like adult diaper pants, etc. All you need to do is follow simple healthy habits and make a few lifestyle changes. Since the condition is common, you can easily find underpads and diapers online for adults. Reach out to your doctor to learn more about the condition and to come up with a diet and exercise plan to help you manage your incontinence better.